How we can support you

We take a 'supported lifestyles' approach to supporting you to live an ordinary life, and to feel part of your community.

This approach is about supporting you to live the life you want, where you want.  Our staff are trained in this approach, and if at any time you feel this is not the way we are working you should contact your local Branch.

Have a look at our regional websites to see the full list of support and services available in your area, or contact your local branch of CCS Disability Action for any further information about What We Do.

In all our work with children, we put the interests and welfare of the child at the centre. You can read a copy of our Child Protection Policy here (PDF 365kb). You can also read our Child Rights Policy here (PDF 273kb).

Support and services we can offer you

Supporting People with Individualised Funding

More and more New Zealanders with disabilities are managing their supports and service with Individualised Funding, which is accessed through young lad weight training at the gymthe Ministry of Health. We can help you look at whether Individualised Funding will work for you, what supports and services you want and how these can be put in place. We can provide advice if you want to employ your own staff, or employ staff on your behalf. For more information read our Individualised Funding brochure or our English/Te Reo Version or contact your local branch.

Supported Lifestyles Service

We take a Supported Lifestyles approach to all our supports. However, we also have a specific service called Supported Lifestyles – which is focused on people aged under 19 years of age and their family/whānau. The service supports family/whānau to decide what supports, information and advice they need – and access this – whether this is from us or other community/government organisations. Support can range from identifying local early childhood centres and schools for a child, helping family/whānau to talk to their school about their child’s needs, supporting family/whānau to access health care, government funded assistance, housing or even employment.

Transition Services

two young women working on a laptop

The Transition Services are for students in their last year at school who are making decisions about what to do next. As a student you (and your family/whānau) can identify opportunities and experiences in this last year so you’ve got a plan and the skills you need to leave school with confidence about the future. It helps both you and us if we hear from your school/family or you before you’re in your last year at school.

We can support you in transition to get information about potential careers, find work experience, look for after-school or holiday work, learn about study or training options, get involved in the community, and think about how you will spend your leisure time.

Employment and Vocational Services

If you are interested in work, training or study and being actively involved in your community in a meaningful way, we can support you to reach your goals. If you are interested in finding paid and unpaid employment, voluntary work, work experience, we can support you to access careers information and guidance, develop job search and employment skills and find a job.

Supported Living Servicesmother, toddler and boy in wheelchair, laughing together

If you want to move into your own home and live independently – we can support you through our Supported Living services. We can support you to find and move into a home of your own, develop skills for everyday living, learn to budget and manage your money. We can also assist you to get to know people and make friends in your area, find work and social activities. This would all be done around a plan that will meet your goals and aspirations. We can also support you if you want to stay in your home and not move into residential care.

Support for People with Very High Needs

We provide support for people with very high needs. This support is for people who have left school and want to work, take up further education and/or be more involved in their community. The support is flexible to meet each person’s needs. If you qualified for the Very High Needs Ongoing Resourcing Scheme (ORS), funding from the Ministry of Social Development may be available for us to support you.

Mobility Parking

The mobility parking permit scheme provides people with limited mobility wider parking spaces that are usually closer to venues. It also allows permit holders to park in some regular parking spaces for longer than the designated time (this varies from region to region). We provide permits to over 120,000 kiwis. For more information see

Woman in wheelchair getting on hoist into a taxi van

Total Mobility (taxi vouchers)

Total Mobility is a taxi voucher scheme for people with significant mobility impairments. Total Mobility taxi vouchers provide a discount of (usually) 50% off the normal taxi fare, and you pay the other half of the fare to the taxi driver when you exit the taxi.

To apply for Total Mobility taxi vouchers, you need to have an assessment by a registered assessor. CCS Disability Action is one organisation that can distribute the vouchers, and in some area our staff can also assess you. In other areas assessment are done by the local council. For more information contact your local branch.

Disability Awareness and Education

Our disability awareness training is designed to educate people on disability related issues, and to break down the barriers that exist to achieve a fully inclusive society. It is about challenging attitudes and developing an understanding about disability so disabled people can be part of the community like everyone else. Our experienced disability awareness presenters all have a lived experience of disability. We have delivered this training to employers, local councils, students, government departments, taxi drivers, and health professionals. For more information contact your local branch.

Community Development

We work with communities with the aim to ensure that they man in his kitchen cutting onions using a kitchen aidare welcoming and inclusive of all people. This can be about making changes to the environment – buildings, roads, parks etc, and including everyone in community activities and events. We work with local councils, building companies, building owners and government departments on a range of issues that impact the lives of disabled people. We have expertise in making public buildings, homes, amenities, walkways, streets and public transport more accessible for everybody. If you have concerns about access to the environment in your community contact your local branch.

CCS Disability Action has created Lifemark, an organisation which provides specific standards for making homes and retirement accommodation accessible and adaptable to cater for everyone.