Community funding / Pūtea penapena

When you or your child has a disability, you may face higher costs to meet your support needs. There are a number of grants available that you may be eligible to apply for. These tend to cover costs that are not typically government funded. Here are the details of some funds that may be helpful.

Jubilee Trust/Cook Opie Trust

The Jubilee Trust is administered by CCS Disability Action. It offers a general grant, education grants and education scholarships to assist people with physical disabilities living in Auckland, Northland and the Eastern Bay of Plenty.

The Cook Opie Trust, which is administered by the Jubilee Trust trustees provides grants for the purchase of computer and technical equipment that will assist people with physical disabilities.

Download a copy of the Jubilee Trust brochure here (PDF 944kb).

Download a word version of the Jubilee Trust brochure here (Word doc 32kb).

Wilson Home Trust Discretionary Grant

The Wilson Home Trust Discretionary Grant is to support an initiative, activity or equipment that will enhance the life of children or young people who have a physical disability.

Halberg Disability Sport Foundation All Sports Activity Fund

The Halberg Disability Sport Foundation All Sports Activity Fund provides grants to enable young people with a physical disability to participate in sport and active leisure within their community by supporting the additional costs associated with having a disability.


Variety fund a broad range of requirements, from medical equipment, to mobility needs to innovative educational initiatives.

Cerebral Palsy Society of New Zealand

Members of the Cerebral Palsy Society of New Zealand can apply for Individual Grants and they also have a number of voucher schemes to help people remain as independent as possible.

Mazda Foundation

The Mazda Foundation issue individual grants. One of their objectives is to support young people through advancement of education and this includes support for equipment for people with disabilities.

Lions Clubs New Zealand

Lions Clubs New Zealand provide funding under Health, Sight, Community and Child Mobility grants. You'll need to contact your local club to request information about funding.

Cystic Fibrosis Association of New Zealand

The Cystic Fibrosis Association of New Zealand offer a range of grants for people with Cystic Fibrosis, including support with education, physical health, hardship and welfare.

Rotary International

Rotary International offer District Grants that fund smaller, short-term activities addressing local needs. You’ll need to contact your local club to apply for specific funding. Local libraries and Citizens Advice Bureau holds lists of the clubs in the region.

J R McKenzie Trust

The J R McKenzie Trust offer grants that fit their mission of a more socially just and inclusive Aotearoa with a particular emphasis on Maori and young people.

North Shore Presbyterian Hospital Trust

This trust offers small grants to improve the health and welfare of individuals living in the North Shore or Hibiscus Coast areas of Auckland City. Applications are considered four times a year and must be received by the 7th of March, June, September and 25th of November in each year.

Contact the Trust secretary at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for more information.

The IHC Foundation

The IHC Foundation funds a wide range of initiatives that benefit people with intellectual disability and their families.

TIP: Most applications require a letter of support or quotes. Use photos to personalise your application and be sure to ask funders for help with the application form if you feel you need help. In most cases you'll find that people are more than happy to help you through the application process!

For information on these and the many other grants available visit your local Citizens Advice Bureau or ask your local library how they can help you access the ‘Generosity New Zealand’ funding database.