Become a caregiver
Caregivers play a hugely important role for disabled children and young people who need a safe and loving home-away-from-home.
For some children, this support can involve care for short periods of time. This means families can have a chance to recharge while children can enjoy some new experiences and relationships in a stable environment. We call this ‘respite’ or ‘shared’ care. As a caregiver, your support plays an important part in keeping families connected in the long term.
Other children need a full-time or more long-term family home in the community. Your caregiving will give these kids the chance to be included in a family environment and stay connected with the things that are most important to them such as school, friends or their community.
Is Becoming a Caregiver Right for You?
Welcoming a child into your home is a big commitment. It can also be a deeply rewarding experience for you and your family/whānau.
In order to know whether it is right for you, you’ll need to consider:
- How flexible is your existing schedule?
- What will be the impact on your existing family unit?
- What level of care are you in a position to offer?
- How much support do you have in your life?
There are a number of different caregiving options. What will suit you best will depend on the needs of you and your family/whānau.
Our Role in Supporting Caregivers
CCS Disability Action can support people who provide care for children and young people by:
- Working with potential caregivers to establish what type of care would work best for them
- Ensuring that all legal requirements are met and support is coordinated to ensure children receive high quality support
- Providing caregivers with training, practical support and ongoing advocacy to ensure they are well equipped to handle any challenges
- Coordinating the disability-related supports, such as any required modifications or medical support needed for a child to thrive in their new environment
If you’re interested in making a difference in a child’s life or would like more information, please get in touch today.